When Covid-19 struck back in March 2020, there was a huge increase in the number of people struggling to access food and basic goods.
Pembroke House moved fast to respond, setting up the Walworth Community Food Hub – an emergency food distribution operation – just days into the first lockdown. The Food Hub ran from April 2020 to August 2021.
Each week, a team of volunteers sorted and packed food parcels. These parcels were then delivered by volunteer couriers – mostly by bike but with some on foot – to hundreds of local homes.
The Food Hub in numbers
In total, the Walworth Community Food Hub delivered 340 tonnes of food in more than 40,000 food parcels.
Over four hundred volunteers contributed 33,000 hours at the Food Hub between March 2020 and August 2021.
Thanks go to…
…an enormous number of organisations and individuals, including:
- FareShare, who donated food supplies to the Hub each week
- a huge range of other partner organisations, including many businesses from Walworth and further afield
- 40 partners who refered people to the Hub
- our volunteers
- Pembroke House’s donors and supporters
And of course the funders who made the Walworth Community Food Hub possible:
- the National Lottery Coronavirus Community Support Fund (using government funds from The Office for Civil Society)
- Southwark Council
- the Southwark Community Response Fund (contributions from United St Saviour’s Charity, Guy’s and St Thomas’ Charity, Southwark Charities, the Peter Minet Trust, Womble Bond Dickinson, British Land, St George The Martyr Charity, and local residents & businesses – coordinated by London Funders)
- the CAF Resilience Fund
- the Sodexo Stop Hunger Foundation
- the Newby Trust
- St George The Martyr Charity
- the Fishmongers’ Company
- the Skinners’ Company
- the Turners’ Company
- the Chartered Accountants’ Company
- the Goldsmiths’ Company
- the Worshipful Company of Environmental Cleaners
- the Worshipful Company of Tin Plate Workers alias Wire Workers
- the Worshipful Company of Fletchers
- the Vintners’ Company
- the Masons’ Company Charitable Trust
- the Betty Messenger Foundation
- and the Cooks Livery Company
Thank you all!